Python Backend Engineer (All Levels of Seniority)
At Tessian (formerly CheckRecipient) we are building machine-intelligent filters to secure enterprise communications. This involves deploying near real-time machine learning models at massive scale to some of the world’s largest organisations.
We are looking for python backend engineers to help deliver our ambitious roadmap (robust data pipelines, new machine learning models, analytics features, security features, etc). Our agnostic approach to problem solving means we favour hiring engineers who pride themselves on the ability to learn new skills, their comfort with the unknown and their willingness to experiment.
Additionally, if you're a Senior candidate, there's the option, subject to things progressing well and it being mutually desirable, for the role to develop after a few months into that of the Team Lead Engineer.
Engineering at Tessian
You’ll be growing your skill-set on an ongoing basis; regular and continuous development is something we believe in and as an employee we will seek to create opportunities for you to evolve
We build quickly and follow both agile and continuous delivery paradigms deploying multiple times a day
We use Kanban and play Planning Poker
We believe in Deep Work and provide the environment for engineers to tackle hard problems, we encourage engineers to take 4 hours a day for focussed work with no external distractions
Technology stack snapshot:
At Tessian, we have the ambitious goal of protecting enterprise networks against new and intelligent cyber threats, making it impossible for sensitive information to end up in the wrong hands.
Through advanced machine learning and natural language processing (NLP), Tessian prevents breaches in real-time, outsmarting traditional rule-based, admin-intensive approaches which can only report a breach after it has occurred.
Founded by a team of Imperial College engineers, we’re backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors. We work with international clients in the financial, legal and professional services sectors who trust us to find the most intelligent ways to keep their data secure.
We’ve recently closed a fundraising round of $2.7m led by Accel and LocalGlobe and we are looking to work with the brightest minds to help us accomplish our goal and help us defend our clients against the biggest cybersecurity problems.
Tessian joins Microsoft Accelerator
We're delighted to announce that Tessian has been selected to join the Microsoft Accelerator. The programme, which will begin in October, will provide us with unprecedented access to top Microsoft partners and customers, powerful business connections, and world-leading technical knowledge.
You should apply if a lot of the below sounds like you:
- are a great problem solver who takes pride in their work
- are comfortable with the unknown and love to experiment
- can construct good arguments for methodologies or practices
- have worked with data at scale
- several years' experience working with Python in production
- comfortable with Docker and have some DevOps expertise
- have an interest in machine learning
Winner - Cyber Security Breakthrough Overall Enterprise Email Security Solution Provider of the Year 2017
Winner - CogX 2017 Best Innovation in Data Protection and Privacy
Winner - INFOSEC 2017 Most Innovative Cyber Security Company
Winner - Info Security Product Guide’s Global Excellence Awards 2017 for the Best Security Startup
Winner - WIRED Security 2016 Best Startup Award
Winner - LegalGeek Best Machine Intelligence Start Up 2016
You can check out some photos of our team on our Instagram, or check out our team page.
- Competitive salary (£30,000 (junior) - £85,000 p.a. dependent on experience) and meaningful equity options
- 25 days of holiday leave as well as 8 days off for UK public holidays
- Choose your own tech kit - laptop & OS
- Regular team socials and activities
- Flexible work start-times for the Tech team
- Ad-hoc work from home
- Personal Development; we are always keen to encourage personal development, so:
- Tessian Library: if you have a work-relevant book you want to read, we'll buy it for you to read then add it to the library!
- We are always willing to consider requests for personal development training and courses.
- Annual personal development fund
- Central London office location (EC1Y 8SL) with shared roof terrace and community events (including a monthly feast and 'cake Wednesdays'!) and:
- Weekly Ocado office-food deliveries of fruit, nuts, bread, cereal and snacks
- Amazing Pact coffee and a huge selection of Twinings Teas in the Office
- Annual benefit and Salary Reviews
- Cycle to work scheme, eyecare vouchers and childcare vouchers
- Subscription to the Headspace Meditation app
- Yoga in the office at lunchtime once a week
- Pension plan contributions
- Relocation: if you are coming from abroad, we will provide accommodation in an AirBnB for a week to help you make the move, and can make salary payments to an international bank for the first three months. We also have some handy tips and checklists to help with your relocation.
Equality and Diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. You can read our equality and diversity statement here. We're also a corporate member of WISE.
How to apply
Please attach your résumé and take the time to write a quick cover letter about why you’d like to work at Tessian and specifically what attracts you to this role.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Please note that we do not accept applications or résumés from recruiters unless we have specifically asked a given recruiter to submit candidates for this role
- Please note: by submitting an application you consent to being contacted with the details provided with regards to to employment opportunities at Tessian